[GAP Forum] Source code of GAP

Thomas Breuer sam at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De
Sun Apr 17 13:34:28 BST 2016

Dear GAP Forum,

probably the question is about the GAP functions that compute
the irreducible characters of a given group,
not about the function 'CharacterTable'.

If yes then one should look for the methods for the function 'Irr',
for example using 'ApplicableMethod'.

Concerning the question about calculations with primitive roots
of unity, I would suggest to look at the chapters ``Cyclotomics''
and ``Abelian Number Fields'' of the GAP Reference Manual.
Also the paper cited as [Bre97] in this manual might be of interest.

All the best,
Thomas