[GAP Forum] Find rank-1 matrices in given subspace of matrices

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 15 21:19:07 GMT 2016

Hi Benoit,
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 11:54:46AM -0500, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> That would give me the set of all rank-1 matrices. I want the set of those
> rank-1 matrices that belong to some given linear subspace of matrices,
> given e.g. as the span of a finite family of matrices.

this is a hard problem. One can write down
a system of polynomial equations specifying the matrices you are interested in.
Let A=sum_k x_k A_k be the matrix of linear forms in variables x_k,
and A_k span your subspace. You need to set all the 2x2 minors of A to 0,
giving you a system of quadratic equations in x_k. Its solutions specify
the rank 1 matrices in your subspace.
It does not seem likely that there is a nice parametrisation of this set.

Hope this helps,
Dima