[GAP Forum] Shortest words

Tim Boykett tim at algebra.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri Jan 15 15:12:47 GMT 2016

Dear GAPpers,

I have previously used the techniques outlined in the Rubik's Cube
tutorial to find words expressing certain permutations in the generators
I am using. This has worked fine so far, but I have run up against a
problem where I would like to prefer some permutations and use as few as
possible of others. It seems that the very old collection AbStab.g used
to do this, but it is no longer part of GAP. What is the current way to
do this?

I am sure there is a very simple technique, but I cannot seem to find it.

Best wishes,

Tim