[GAP Forum] Type of an Object in GAP

Burkhard Höfling burkhard at hoefling.name
Thu Dec 24 15:56:17 GMT 2015

> On 24 Dec 2015, at 16:21, gxyd <axyd0000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi GAP members,
>
> I want to know: How can i find the "Type" of an Object in GAP
> For example:
>    gap> f:=FreeGroup(3)
>    gap> Type(f)
>    # I want know the "Type"(if any exists for its functioning)
>
> Though there seem to be ``TypeOfFamilies``, is this used?. Can you please describe the way `Type` of an object is defined in GAP(what structure is used?)

You can use `TypeObj' to access the type information, but that's probably not what you are looking for. Chapter 13 in the GAP reference manual (in your GAP distribution, but also available online: http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap13.html) explains the GAP type system in detail.

Cheers

Burkhard.