[GAP Forum] Is there a routine to compute the Jacobson radical of a finite group?

Stephen Linton sl4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Nov 22 10:13:30 GMT 2015

For at least some groups, the obvious commands work:

for instance

gap> g := SmallGroup(1536,10^6);
<pc group of size 1536 with 10 generators>
gap> Intersection(MaximalNormalSubgroups(g));
Group([ f6, f7, f8, f9 ])
gap> s := TransitiveGroup(24,1000);
t24n1000
gap> Intersection(MaximalNormalSubgroups(s));
<permutation group of size 96 with 6 generators>

I’m not sure what the limitations of the available methods fro MaximalNormalSubgroups are,
nor whether a method targeted directly at the Radical could be significantly more efficient.

	Steve