[GAP Forum] Cohomology of nontrivial G-modules?

Benoit Jacob benoitjacob at google.com
Wed Nov 11 16:37:39 GMT 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Dima Pasechnik <
dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:52:29AM -0500, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> > I need to compute cohomology groups of the form
> >
> >     H^n(G, A)
> >
> > where G is a finite group and A is a nontrivial G-module. More
> > specifically, A is a finite-dimensional vector space over Z/2Z on which G
> > acts non-trivially.
> >
> > Any example code would be greatly appreciated; I searched for existing
> help
> > and documentation but only found examples dealing with trivial G-modules.
>
> did you look at GAP's packages? E.g.
> http://gap-system.org/Packages/hap.html
> seems to be just what you need.

Thanks for the answer. HAP does seem like just what I need, but, being a
GAP beginner, I need something more pedestrian than the functions reference
documentation I see there. Is there any self-contained example code going
through the steps of defining a G-module, then computing its cohomology?

Thanks,
Benoit