[GAP Forum] bug in LLLReducedGramMat?

Benjamin Sambale benjamin.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:53:50 GMT 2015

Dear GAP people,

the command LLLReducedGramMat is supposed to perform the LLL reduction
algorithm for symmetric square matrices. Most of the time I'm satisfied
with the output, but now I ran into the following:

M:=
[ [  4,  1,  1,  1,  8 ],
   [  1,  2,  2,  2,  2 ],
   [  1,  2,  2,  2,  2 ],
   [  1,  2,  2,  2,  2 ],
   [  8,  2,  2,  2,  4 ] ];
LLLReducedGramMat(M);
Error, List Element: <list>[2] must have an assigned value

The matrix M is symmetric, but not invertible. However, this is
certainly not the problem here, since even a zero matrix gives no error.
It seems to me that there is a very subtle detail strongly related to
this matrix which goes wrong. Btw, I'm using GAP 4.7.8 under linux.

Best wishes,
Benjamin