[GAP Forum] ncurses and gmp updates

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:29:05 BST 2015

Dear Benjamin,

> On 11 Oct 2015, at 19:07, Benjamin Sambale <benjamin.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear forum,
>
> my linux distribution (arch linux) switched from ncurses5 to ncurses6 recently. Since then, I am unable to use GAP (4,7.8). It opens with
>
> #W dlopen() error: libpanelw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Error, module '/usr/local/gap4r7/pkg/Browse/bin/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc-default64/ncurses.so' not found

Just to check - have you recompiled both the GAP kernel and the Browse package in this case?

> and several commands do not work properly. Strangely, the problem persists after recompiling. I also notice that the compiling process downloads gmp5 instead of using gmp6 already provided by the system.

This is the default behaviour - it uses GMP version included in the GAP distribution, that is the same that we're using in regression testing. If you wish to use the system one, build it with

./configure --with-gmp=system
make

The master branch in GAP git repository already uses GMP 6.0.0 and we haven't observed any problems.

Hope this helps
Alexander