[GAP Forum] How does the function "Minimum()" work?

Will Chen oxeimon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 05:54:04 BST 2015

Thanks to Alexander Hulpke, my code has experienced a speedup of about two
orders of magnitude.

However, in order to efficiently compute actions on representatives of
equivalence classes, I'm using "Minimum" to choose "minimal
representatives".

Ie, I often turn orbits consisting of elements of G into lists and then
consider their minimum.

If O is an orbit of elements of G under some action, then what does
Minimum(List(O)) really do? Is this minimum guaranteed to be unique? When I
create the group G, is every element of G secretly assigned an integer
"size", and Minimum is just tapping into that data?

thanks,

- will