[GAP Forum] Mathieu group M11

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Aug 2 21:30:37 BST 2015

Or you could use GAP help system: http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap2.html

Just enter

	?Mathieu

in the GAP prompt and it will display the manual entry for MathieuGroup in the GAP
session.

gap> ?Mathieu
Help: Showing `Reference: MathieuGroup'
  50.1-11 MathieuGroup

  ‣ MathieuGroup( [filt, ]degree ) ──────────────────── function

  constructs  the  Mathieu group of degree degree in the category given by the
  filter filt, where degree must be in the set { 9, 10, 11, 12, 21, 22, 23, 24
  }. If filt is not given it defaults to IsPermGroup (43.1-1).

  ───────────────────  Example  ────────────────────
    gap> MathieuGroup( 11 );
    Group([ (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11), (3,7,11,8)(4,10,5,6) ])
  ─────────────────────────────────────────────

You can also use SetHelpViewer function to change the default viewer - for example,
on my computer I open GAP help pages with the browser. See SetHelpViewer documentation
at http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap2.html#X863FF9087EDA8DF9 and also
"The gap.ini and gaprc files" for the documentation on customising GAP to use this
setting by default http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap3.html#X7FD66F977A3B02DF

You can also type ??Mathieu - the difference is that with one `?` it looks for all
help entries that *start* with "Mathieu", while with `??` it looks for all entries
which contain the substring "Mathieu", so in this case you will be also pointed to
an entry from the documentation for the Orb package:

gap> ??Mathieu
Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]

[1] Reference: MathieuGroup
[2] orb (not loaded): The Mathieu group M_{11} acting in dimension 24
gap> ?2

Using ? and ?? is more reliable: it will search not only in the GAP manuals,
but also in the manuals of all GAP packages available in your GAP installation.
It guarantees to return results from the documentation precisely for the version
of GAP you're using. Therefore, I'm encouraging everyone to use this feature of
GAP and not just a search engine (which may return results in different order
dependently on your location; may point you to GAP documentation for older
versions of GAP still hosted elsewhere; may not point to the relevant pieces
of functionality in GAP packages, etc.).

Hope this helps
Alexander