[GAP Forum] Structure constants of E7(2) and E8(2)

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jun 22 21:42:50 BST 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 04:06:43AM +0800, 刘建军 wrote:
> Dear forum,
>
> I would like to know whether there is a way to compute the structure
> constants of Exceptional groups of Lie type E7(2) and E8(2) using GAP.
>
> The “CharacterTable(SimpleGroup(E7(2))” returns an Error, so the
> command “ClassMultiplicationCoefficient” is not valid.
>
> Is there a method to get it?

Dear Jianjun Liu, dear Forum,

The character tables of these groups are not yet completely known.
So, you cannot easily compute any structure constants.

Nevertheless, for some structure constants only few character values are
needed and these may be known or computable. See

   Lübeck, F. and Malle, G., (2,3)-generation of exceptional groups, J.
   London Math. Soc., 59 (2), (1999), p. 109--122

for an example of this.

With best regards,

   Frank Lübeck

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Pontdriesch 14/16,
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany