[GAP Forum] Can GAP3 program construct the character table of projective general linear groups?

杨高 shinyasakai at 163.com
Sun May 31 09:48:59 BST 2015

Dear forum:

Is this the correct and most concise way to construct PGL(2,3) with GAP?

> W:=GeneralLinearGroup(2,3);;
> H:=Subgroup(W,[[[Z(3),0*Z(3)],[0*Z(3),Z(3)]]]);;
> B:=W/H;;

Morevoer, I want to construct the character table of this group. But there is ian error.

>Display(CharTable(B));
Error, sorry, I don't know how to construct the table of <grp>
 in
CharTable( B ) called from
main loop

So there are question I would like to ask. For constructing character tables, what kind of groups can GAP deal with? Can GAP construct the character table of PGL(n,m)? If the answer is yes, then how can I do this with it?

Thanks to everyone.