[GAP Forum] what is the difference between Conway Polynomial and minimal polynomial?

Thomas Breuer sam at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De
Sat Mar 14 14:15:55 GMT 2015

Dear Shen,

the information you ask for can be obtained from the GAP Reference Manual.
In a GAP session, you can ask for help about the GAP function
'ConwayPolynomial' by entering

    ?ConwayPolynomial

at the GAP prompt.

The manual section about this function contains the definition of
Conway polynomials.
You will find there that Conway polynomials are the minimal polynomials
of very special elements in finite fields,
but not every minimal polynomial of a field element is a
Conway polynomial.

All the best,
Thomas