[GAP Forum] Error when Generating FreeMonoid of rank infinity

Nick Loughlin n.j.loughlin at ncl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 18:06:13 GMT 2015

Hi Forum,

I'm working in GAP 4.7.5 in linux, and have tested on a similar set-up
on 4.7.4 with identical results, and 4.5.5, with a different error message.

gap> FreeMonoid( infinity, "m", [  ] );
Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from
NoMethodFound
Error, no 2nd choice method found for `in' on 2 arguments called from
One( M ) in GeneratorsOfMonoid( M ) called from
<compiled or corrupted statement>  called from
<compiled or corrupted statement>  called from
SetGeneratorsOfMagmaWithOne( M, AsList( gens ) ); called from
MonoidByGenerators( InfiniteListOfGenerators( F ) ) called from
...  at line 957 of *stdin*
you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
you can 'return;' to continue

I've replicated the result on GAP 4.7.4 on linux on a different
computer. I can get a hold of the monoid (locally named M) in the break
loop, and assign it to a global variable name to use once I exit the
loop, but would appreciate some insight into the nature of this error –
is it a bug, or have I done something wrong? If it's a bug, is there an
easy workaround I can use for now?

Best,
Nick