[GAP Forum] to get correction in code.

Stephen Linton steve.linton at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Dec 28 08:26:19 GMT 2014

Dear Harsha,

Your Autocenter function returns a list of the elements of the autocenter, but GAP distinguishes between a simple list of elements and a group.

The AsGroup operation will turn such a list into an actual group object (if the elements of the list form a group, as they do here).

gap> Autocenter(CyclicGroup(4));
[ <identity> of ..., f2 ]
gap> AsGroup(last);
<pc group of size 2 with 1 generators>
gap> StructureDescription(last);
“C2"

A couple of remarks that might be useful if you want to deal with larger groups:

There are certainly more efficient methods of computing the autocenter for larger groups. For instance you could start with the Centre of the group and then intersect it with the fixed subgroups of a set of generators for the outer automorphism groups.

Secondly, be aware of the limits of StructureDescription. For instance there are non-isomorphic groups with the same StructureDescription.

Finally, to construct a finitely presented group, follow the documentation at

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap47.html#X7AA982637E90B35A

	Steve