[GAP Forum] IsomorphismTypeFiniteSimpleGroup results in an error.

buynnnmmm1 at yahoo.co.jp buynnnmmm1 at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Sep 15 22:17:16 BST 2014

Thank you very much for your help.

> This NIU-hosted copy of GAP manuals refers to some version of GAP that was
> around in 2000. At that time it was not uncommon to host mirrors of GAP
> distribution, and many places were also serving a copy GAP documentation for
> local users to help with slow connections or internet blackouts. Many places
> stopped doing this when the network became faster and reliable, so my conjecture
> would be that most of the copies of GAP manuals that may be found outside the
> main GAP website are actually outdated (until recently, GAP website still
> provided HTML version of GAP 3 manuals, and now they are only available in a
> tar.gz archive to prevent search engines pointing to GAP 3 manuals which may
> cause even more confusion trying them in GAP 4).
>
> Anyhow, you do not need to search for the GAP Documentation in the Internet,
> since it is included in your GAP installation, and GAP provides a command-line
> functionality to search in it using the ? (question mark) operator or ?? (double
> question mark). For example, you might have tried to find the exact match with
> '?':
>
> gap> ?IsomorphismTypeFiniteSimpleGroup
> Help: no matching entry found
>
> and then decide to try with '??' to find all search index entries that
> contain a given substring, like here:
>

> gap> ??IsomorphismType
> Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]
>
> [1] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup
> [2] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a group)
> [3] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a group order)
> [4] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a character table)
>

> or like here:
>

> gap> ??FiniteSimpleGroup
> Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]
>
> [1] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup
> [2] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a group)
> [3] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a group order)
> [4] Reference: IsomorphismTypeInfoFiniteSimpleGroup (for a character table)
>

> Now you may type ?1 to see the 1st entry, etc. Also, the command SetHelpViewer
> (you may try to see its description by entering ?SetHelpViewer) can be used to
> use nicer display methods for the online help (for example, I normally set the
> viewer to my preferred HTML browser).
>
> Furthermore, if you wish to use the external search engine, then the GAP website
> offers its own search tool at http://www.gap-system.org/search.html. Using it,
> you may e.g. search only in Gap Forum Archives or in the Gap 4 Manual. Also, you
> may ask Google to search only within the GAP website by adding
> "site:www.gap-system.org" in the search form after your search input.

Thank
 you very much for your description of how to use the help function of
detailed GAP and how to search only within the GAP website with Google
search Engine.

> Could this be a typo? I can't read it, but page two of the PDF file has
> timestamp 02/08/16 and this can't be 2016 yet. And also
> http://sci.kj.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~waki/jpn/gap_docs/ says this file is from 2003.
>
> We could add a link to this document to the page
> http://www.gap-system.org/Doc/Teaching/teaching.html (which already lists
> another teaching material in Japanese) if someone will suggest a description. It
> seems that most of examples still will work.
>
>>  I think the document author and not using "GAPDoc package".
>
> I think too - GAPDoc-based manuals have their recognisable style. Using Unicode
> fonts, in principle one should be able to create GAPDoc-based documents in
> Japanese.

I was accidentally mistaken for 2014 at the beginning of the PDF file from was written with "heisei" 14 year.
"Heisei" is the Japanese era calendar scheme numbers years from the accession of the current emperor.
That pdf document was old.

 have sent a mail to the email address it is written in the first page
of the pdf document, but it did not reach. So I've emailed the
university to which the pdf author belongs.

Thank you very much for your help.

P.S.
I resend same e-mail because I also have forgotten cc column of mail (forum at mail.gap-system.org).

buynnnmmm1