[GAP Forum] Converting a permutation to a list

Pierre-Alain BOURDIL pabourdi at laas.fr
Mon Aug 18 16:17:10 BST 2014

Greetings,

i'm looking for a function , say F, such that

  F((1,2,3)(5,6)) = [[1,2,3],[5,6]].

My goal is to use the output list as index to fetch string from a
separate list (eg: ["a","b","c","d","e"]). I need to express
permutation  on the latter (eg: ("a","b","c")("d","e")) ) , do some
computation using gap permutation group, and  convert back the output of
gap to permutation of these strings.

I've seen PermList and ListPerm but it's not a cyclic notation. There's
possibly better way to make a permutation acting on an ordred set of
string  but my point is the input/output with gap.

--
Pierre-Alain BOURDIL
pabourdi at laas.fr <mailto:pabourdi at laas.fr>
pierre-alain.bourdil at fr.thalesgroup.com