[GAP Forum] Comparing character tables in GAP

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Tue Jul 1 20:07:26 BST 2014

Dear Forum,

> For the second question I had the following situation in mind:
>
> gap> c1 := CharacterTable(AlternatingGroup(6));
> CharacterTable( Alt( [ 1 .. 6 ] ) )
> gap> c2 := CharacterTable("A6") mod 2;
> BrauerTable( "A6", 2 )
>
> So c1 and c2 are two character tables of the alternating group of degree 6.  Is there a GAP-function checking if the two tables (ordinary character tables or Brauer tables) are tables of isomorphic groups?  Or do I have to be lucky that for both tables the attribute UnderlyingGroup(-) is known (respectively UnderlyingGroup(OrdinaryTable(-)), if it is a Brauer table)?

If you get character tables (by name) from the character table library, tables are guaranteed to be consistent, same names mean the same group and class namings are consistent between ordinary and Brauer tables.

But if you calculate one of the tables from a group your question actually would require a classification of all groups with these tables to ensure that they would have to be isomorphic (and could not be Brauer Pairs), so there is no such algorithm. (Of course in many cases theory will tell you that the groups are isomorphic, but this is impossible to put into an algorithm.)

So in your example, if you set

c1:=CharacterTable("A6");

you are fine, but as given there is no guarantee.

Best,

    Alexander Hulpke