[GAP Forum] Comparing character tables in GAP

Andreas Bächle ABachle at vub.ac.be
Tue Jul 1 19:14:54 BST 2014

Dear Alexander and John, dear Forum,

thanks a lot for the helpful answers.  I misinterpreted the function
"TransformingPermutationsCharacterTables", as I thought it just performs
the permutation on the rows and columns of the character table, but it
also takes care of the power maps.  Hence, this is exactly the function
I was looking for with my first question.

For the second question I had the following situation in mind:

gap> c1 := CharacterTable(AlternatingGroup(6));
CharacterTable( Alt( [ 1 .. 6 ] ) )
gap> c2 := CharacterTable("A6") mod 2;
BrauerTable( "A6", 2 )

So c1 and c2 are two character tables of the alternating group of
degree 6.  Is there a GAP-function checking if the two tables (ordinary
character tables or Brauer tables) are tables of isomorphic groups?  Or
do I have to be lucky that for both tables the attribute
UnderlyingGroup(-) is known (respectively
UnderlyingGroup(OrdinaryTable(-)), if it is a Brauer table)?
(I am aware of the possibility to call "CharacterTableWithStoredGroup"
to attach a group to a character table, but I was wondering if this is
not somehow done automatically for tables coming from the ATLAS?)

Thanks again for your answers!

Kind regards,
   Andreas