[GAP Forum] Exceeded Permitted Memory

Dmitrii Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 3 20:56:38 BST 2014

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 02:03:42PM +0800, Minghui Liu wrote:
> By the way, I found that even better supercomputers are available in my
> university:
>
> "Dedicated cluster with up to 192 CPU cores interconnected by
> high-performance InfiniBand network can be provisioned within a business
> day."
>
> And one needs to pay to use it. Is there any point trying?
This is a distributed cluster (known as an MPP, for Massively Parallel Processor),
i.e. you have many CPU nodes with
relatively small RAM available to each of them.
GAP won't be able to use all this memory.

You'd rather need what is called an SMP - i.e. shared memory
(multi)processor. Indee,
your problem is that you are running out of memory.
And not that you need more CPU cores to go faster.

What is the value of the -o parameter you are
starting GAP with?

Best,
Dmitrii