[GAP Forum] Generators of Factor Groups

Minghui Liu matliumh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 04:23:32 GMT 2014

Dear GAP Forum,

I am trying to find generators of a factor group. I have input dozens
of generators and relations and when I use the command

AbelianInvariants(F/relations);

the result was something like

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5

(I have reduced the number of 0's for simplicity.)

My question is, the result shows that the Abelianization of
F/relations is a direct sum of some Z's and some finite cyclic groups;
how can I find an explicit set of generators? I am especially
interested in how to find the elements of order 2, 3, 4, 5,
respectively.

Minghui