[GAP Forum] On character tables of O8+(7) and U6(4)

Anvita anvita21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 11:27:01 GMT 2014

Dear Forum,

As I ran through the list of GAP's character table names of simple groups
returned by

AllCharacterTableNames(IsSimple,true);

with the purpose to detect multiple names for the same table, I used the
function

NamesOfEquivalentLibraryCharacterTables

successfully for all groups, except O8+(7) and U6(4).
The commands

NamesOfEquivalentLibraryCharacterTables(CharacterTable("O8+(7)"));
NamesOfEquivalentLibraryCharacterTables(CharacterTable("U6(4)"));

seem to never finish, even though groups much larger than those two present
no problem:

gap> NamesOfEquivalentLibraryCharacterTables(CharacterTable("M"));
[ "M" ]

I was just wondering if there is an explanation to this.

Anvita