[GAP Forum] How I can calculate the relations of Small Group

Stefan Kohl stefan at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sun Jan 12 10:14:38 GMT 2014

On Sun, January 12, 2014 9:39 am, Masoud Chaboksavar wrote:

> I need to calculate the relations of a small group. I know that by command
> GeneratorsOfGroup I could calculate the generators of a group. But I do not
> know how I can get its relations.

If your group is already represented as an fp group, you can obtain a list
of the relators by the operation RelatorsOfFpGroup. If not, you need to convert
your group into an fp group first -- thus if your group is G, you can get a list
of relators by RelatorsOfFpGroup(Image(IsomorphismFpGroup(G)));
-- note however that neither the choice of the isomorphism to an fp group
nor the choice of the relators is unique.

If this does not help you, I suggest you to be more specific about what you need.

Best regards,

    Stefan Kohl