[GAP Forum] Orbits for subgroups of S_n

Matthew Fayers m.fayers at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 2 15:36:47 GMT 2014

Dear GAP forum,

I have a calculation that I want to carry out (repeatedly with the data
varying) without running into memory difficulties.

Let S_n denote the symmmetric group on {1,...,n}.  I have subgroups H <=
K <= S_n; these subgroups are defined by (small) generating sets.  I
have an element g in S_n.  When subgroups of S_n act on S_n by
conjugation, the K-orbit containing g is partitioned into H-orbits.  I'd
like to find representatives for these H-orbits (ideally, the
representatives which are smallest in the usual GAP order for
permutations).  In practice, K is so large that computing the whole of
the K-orbit containing g exceeds the available memory.

Does anyone have any idea how I can accomplish this?

Best wishes,
Matt Fayers.

Matthew Fayers
School of Mathematics