[GAP Forum] Simplifying the resulted elements in a Free group

Mohammad Reza Sorouhesh msorouhesh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 09:20:47 BST 2013

Dear Forum,

Consider you define a certain free group with,"g:=FreeGroup (...)" as we
usually do. Sometimes, we call the elements by "Element(g)" as well to
examine the elements for some purposes. GAP gives them all like "a*b^2" or
something like this. GAP neither write them as for example "ab^2" (by
omitting the *) nor simplify the elements which can be simplified regarding
to Free group relations. For example if we have (a*b)^3=1 in the relations
of Free group, we still have "a^3*b*a*b" in output. Sometimes, we consider
GAP to simplify this element regard to that relation by writhing it as
a^ib^j for proper positive integers i and j. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the time you give me,

M.R.Sorouhesh