[GAP Forum] Basic help on output (MultiplicationTable)

Luiz Meier luizrobertomeier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:25:07 BST 2013

Hello people,

I'm reading and testing the book:

Abstract Algebra - An Interactive Approach (Mathematica and GAP) Paulsen
(CRC) ISBN:

I'm using GAP 4.5.7 inside SAGE 5.8 (in Fedora 17 64bits) also in
VirtualBox (Win 7 64bits).

OBS.: The book uses the command MultTable (when it was changed to
MultiplicationTable command?)

Question:

When I use the command (just to test): gap> MultiplicationTable([0..9]) in
the book I read:

+|0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
-+----------------------------
0|0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1|1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
2|2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
3|3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
4|4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
5|5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4
6|6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5
7|7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
8|8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9|9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

But instead of it, I get:

[ [ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ], [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ],
  [ 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 4, 7, 10, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 5, 9, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 6, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 7, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 8, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 9, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ],
  [ 1, 10, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail ] ]

What am I doing wrong? Where can I found informations about such simple
things to avoid to bore you all? Thank you all in advance.

--
*Luiz Roberto Meier*