[GAP Forum] efficient hamming distance computation

A L group.compute at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:52:21 GMT 2013

Hello,

For a project, I need to compute the minimal Hamming distance between a
fixed permutation and a (large) permutation group. What is the "correct"
way to do this in GAP? I am looking for the most efficient method, both for
the Hamming distance computation between individual elements, as well as
ways to avoid brute-force comparison with each element in the group
(perhaps utilizing information about the group's structure).

Any help or pointers/references would be appreciated. I am new to GAP and
have tried my best to wade through the extensive documentation.