[GAP Forum] Running GAP commnads from a file

GARY LOMP glomp at optonline.net
Wed Dec 26 22:28:44 GMT 2012

I created the following file

A:=Factorial( 10 );
B:=Factorial( 20 );

I can read it in (now that I have been advised that windows hides the
extension .txt on my file, which is test_gap.g) IMO, this is nothing
short of pure confusion, but that's Microsoft for you.

There is no error message. I would expect the variables A and B to be
defined since the "manual" says the file is read and executed. But they
are not.

Seems extremely unintuitive and there are no direct paths to any
reference that I can find. This is more basic than "Hello, world", yet
it doesn't yield.

Any help will be appreciated. A user manual that provides a straight
forward indication of the "secrets" would be great! Does it exist?

GL