[GAP Forum] Error with rsync installation

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Oct 25 12:06:37 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 05:49:46PM +0800, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 03:53:25PM +0800, Frank Lübeck wrote:
> > The requirements for the 32-bit GAP executable are very small, you just
> > need to install the 32-bit version of the standard C library (with the
> > corresponding linker).
> >
> > Your Linux distribution should contain a package for that, called something
> > like libc6-i386 or libc6:i386 or glibc.i686 or similar. I thought that
> > this would be installed by default on almost any x86_64 Linux machine.
>
> if your CPU is an AMD 64-bit cpu, on Debian/Ubuntu this package is called ia32-libs.
> I don't think it's that standard. After all, that's usually only needed
> if one has to run a commercial 32-bit application, which is not
> available as a 64-bit one --- and this is unusual.

Dear Dima, dear Forum,

The ia32-libs on (older) Debian/Ubuntu and derived systems installs a lot
of 32 bit libraries, these are indeed not installed in standard
installations. But for the GAP executables (including package kernel modules)
it is as I said before: I made sure that only the basic "libc6-i386", resp.
"libc6:i386", package is needed and this is installed by default in all
Debian/Ubuntu derived distributions I know of.

> You might also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32
> in the shell to specify the location of these libraries.
No, this is not needed on Debian/Ubuntu and co., the libraries are of course
installed in the default path.

Sorry for the technicalities, to conclude:
- For most people the Linux executables coming with the rsync distribution
  will just work.
- If the 32 bit version doesn't work for you, then
  - either ignore this problem and only use the 'gap64L' and 'gap64'commands
  - or install the package to run 32 bit executables as mentioned above

Best regards again,

  Frank

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\