[GAP Forum] Error with rsync installation

Dima Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Oct 25 10:49:46 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 03:53:25PM +0800, Frank Lübeck wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:11:56AM +0800, Gordon Royle wrote:
> > I got this error when using rsync
> >
> > Creating new workspace.
> > Using gapsync/CreateWorkspace.sh ...
> >       (You can customize this by copying gapsync/CreateWorkspace.sh to
> >        local/bin/CreateWorkspace and editing this copy.)
> > gapsync/CreateWorkspace.sh: bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-default32/gap: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
> > Also creating new workspace for 64-bit version ...
> > Using gapsync/CreateWorkspace.sh x86_64 ...
> >       (You can customize this by copying gapsync/CreateWorkspace.sh to
> >        local/bin/CreateWorkspace64 or local/bin/CreateWorkspace
> >        and editing this copy.)
> >

> > The 64 bit version appears to work, but the 32-bit version doesn't.
> >
> > System details:
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux ECM-MATHS-015.uniwa.uwa.edu.au 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 5 21:08:58 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Dear Gordon, dear Forum,
>
> >From this I guess that you cannot start any (dynamically linked) 32-bit
> application on that machine.
>
> The requirements for the 32-bit GAP executable are very small, you just
> need to install the 32-bit version of the standard C library (with the
> corresponding linker).
>
> Your Linux distribution should contain a package for that, called something
> like libc6-i386 or libc6:i386 or glibc.i686 or similar. I thought that
> this would be installed by default on almost any x86_64 Linux machine.

if your CPU is an AMD 64-bit cpu, on Debian/Ubuntu this package is called ia32-libs.

I don't think it's that standard. After all, that's usually only needed
if one has to run a commercial 32-bit application, which is not
available as a 64-bit one --- and this is unusual.

You might also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32
in the shell to specify the location of these libraries.
(They don't really cohabit well with the 64-bit libraries, thus
you need this kludge.)

HTH,
Dima

CONFIDENTIALITY:This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged.If you are not the intended recipient,please delete it,notify us and do not copy,use,or disclose its content.

Towards A Sustainable Earth:Print Only When Necessary.Thank you.