[GAP Forum] AtlasSubgroup

Marek Mitros marek at mitros.org
Tue Oct 9 09:00:50 BST 2012

Dear Forum,

On my work PC functions "AtlasSubgropup" and "AtlasProgram" does not
work. However I have proper files copied to the folders
C:\gap4r4\pkg\atlasrep\dataword\
C:\gap4r5\pkg\atlasrep\dataword\

I have two installations of GAP - 4.4 and 4.5. On both it is the same.
Here is result of example script on GAP 4.4:

gap> LoadPackage("atlasrep");
by Robert A. Wilson (http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~raw),
   Richard A. Parker (richpark at gmx.co.uk),
   Simon Nickerson (http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/S.Nickerson),
   John N. Bray (http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~jnb), and
   Thomas Breuer (http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Thomas.Breuer).
true
gap> g:=AtlasGroup("HN");
<permutation group of size 273030912000000 with 2 generators>
gap> sub:=AtlasSubgroup("HN", 3);
fail
gap> AtlasProgram("HN", "maxes", 3);
fail
gap> AtlasOfGroupRepresentationsInfo.remote;
true
gap> AtlasOfGroupRepresentationsInfo.remote:=false;
false
gap> sub:=AtlasSubgroup("HN", 3);
fail

and on GAP 4.5

gap> LoadPackage("atlasrep");
true
gap> g:=AtlasGroup("HN");
<permutation group of size 273030912000000 with 2 generators>
gap> sub:=AtlasSubgroup("HN", 3);
fail
gap> AtlasProgram("HN", "maxes", 3);
fail
gap> AtlasOfGroupRepresentationsInfo.remote;
true
gap> AtlasOfGroupRepresentationsInfo.remote:=false;
false
gap> sub:=AtlasSubgroup("HN", 3);
fail

Note that I have file C:\gap4r5\pkg\atlasrep\dataword\HNG1-max3W1 on
disk and C:\gap4r4\pkg\atlasrep\dataword\HNG1-max3W1 as well. So
AtlasSubgroup should take this file. How can I verify why GAP does not
see program files on <dataword> folder ?

On my home PC it is working correctly, but the remote access to Atlas
web page works OK and downloads proper file if needed. On work PC the
remote access is not working due to some firewall settings I suppose.
So I would like GAP to access local files.

Regards,
Marek