[GAP Forum] Has anybody created a browser-runnable version of GAP?

Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Sep 14 04:29:06 BST 2012

Dear Vipul,

Sage does not require any "complicated on-boarding process"
to run GAP online.
Namely, all you need is to login to sagenb.org (using an account from
any major OpenID provider, e.g. Google), open a new worksheet, and
(important!) to change the input language to GAP (this can be chosen
in a pull-down menu atop the worksheet - the default language is
Sage).
Then you can perfectly run GAP commands. E.g. I just did this on sagenb:

s:=SymmetricGroup(6);
h:=SylowSubgroup(s,3);
Order(h);

and the output was, as expected:
Sym( [ 1 .. 6 ] )
Group([ (1,2,3), (4,5,6) ])
9

Tab-completion for GAP commands works; help also works, although you
need to put '?' after the keyword.

Thus, " for somebody who just wants to run a few quick commands"
this is good enough, IMHO.

Installing a sage notebook server is indeed a bit tricky, depending
upon how secure it needs to be, etc.

Last but not the least, let me point out that installing GAP locally
is really very easy, much easier than Sage.

HTH,
Dmitrii