[GAP Forum] Torsion?

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 13:53:48 BST 2012

Dear Bill, dear Forum,

On 20 Aug 2012, at 17:38, Bill C wrote:

> I defined a group, with infinite center. I want to know if the center (with many generators) is torsion free. I have tried to use the commands
>
> IsTorsion
> Torsion
> IsFreeAbelian
>
> And they are not recognized.
> Advice, pointers?
>
> Bill

It may be useful to remind that you may use search facilities
from the GAP command line. For example, to look for manual
entries containing the word 'Torsion', use:

gap> ??Torsion
Help: several entries match this topic - type ?2 to get match [2]

[1] FR (not loaded): IsTorsionGroup
[2] FR (not loaded): IsTorsionFreeGroup
[3] HAP (not loaded): Torsion subcomplexes
[4] HAP (not loaded): TorsionGeneratorsAbelianGroup
[5] HAP (not loaded): TorsionSubcomplex
[6] HAP (not loaded): VisualizeTorsionSkeleton
[7] HAP (not loaded): ReduceTorsionSubcomplex
[8] homalg (not loaded): IsTorsionFree
[9] homalg (not loaded): IsTorsion
[10] homalg (not loaded): TorsionSubobject
[11] homalg (not loaded): DegreeOfTorsionFreeness
[12] polycyclic: TorsionByPolyEFSeries
[13] polycyclic: TorsionSubgroup
[14] polycyclic: NormalTorsionSubgroup
[15] polycyclic: IsTorsionFree
[16] RCWA (not loaded): An infinite subgroup of CT(GF(2)[x]) with many torsion elements

Hope this helps,
Alexander