[GAP Forum] first example towards GAP, need some explanation

Dima Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Aug 19 04:37:32 BST 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 02:13:06AM +0800, Jon wrote:
> Thanks for your detailed explanation. However, algebraic number is a new concept to me. I googled a bit and know the basic idea about it, but still cannot follow the notation of E(3). I used ?E, but it gives a lot series of entries, and I don't know how to check a specific one to look into. I thus wonder whether you could explain a bit more about it, or just give me the mathematical expression for it.

OK, so you do
gap> ?E
and you get a list like
[1] ....
[2] ...
If it doesn't fit on one screen, there will be a message at the bottom,
saying "hit q to quit, space for next page", etc
So, hit q, this gives you GAP prompt back.
Now, do
gap> ?1
to list the entry number 1 (or ?2 to list entry number 2, etc)

By the way, if you're more confortable using a web browser, you can
read GAP manual online:
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap0.html#contents
It has index, too:
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chapInd.html
which would lead you to the explanation on E quite easily:
http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap18.html#X8631458886314588

E(n), specifically, is a primitiive nth root of unity, i.e.
exp(2\pi i/n).

Hope this helps,
Dmitrii