[GAP Forum] how to recognise a group?

Robert Morse rm43 at evansville.edu
Fri Aug 17 15:38:05 BST 2012

You can create a file with GAP commands and read them into GAP with
the Read command.

If you put

M := [ [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ], [ 2, 3, 4, 5, 1 ], [ 3, 4, 5, 1, 2 ], [ 4,
5, 1, 2, 3 ], [ 5, 1, 2, 3, 4 ] ];

in a file "table.g" and at the GAP command prompt

gap> Read("table.g");
gap> M;
[ [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ], [ 2, 3, 4, 5, 1 ], [ 3, 4, 5, 1, 2 ], [ 4, 5, 1,
2, 3 ], [ 5, 1, 2, 3, 4 ] ]

you see the variable is assigned as needed.

I am assuming that you are generating the tables using some program.
If so make sure it is formatted as a list of lists that GAP can use.

Also look at

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap9.html#X8373AC6B7D5F9167

for more information on the GAP read command.

Robert