[GAP Forum] primitive permutation groups of small degree

William DeMeo williamdemeo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:39:47 BST 2012

Dear Roghiyeh,

Check out the documentation at

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP048.htm#SECT009

For example, say you want to run through all primitive groups of
degree less than 20, and do something with each one, you could do

for i in [1..19] do
  n:=NrPrimitiveGroups(i);
  for j in [1..n] do
    G:=PrimitiveGroup(i,j);
    ... do something with G ...
  od;
od;

Alternatively, you can get a list of all primitive groups with certain
properties; e.g. a list of primitive groups of degree less than 20
with affine O'Nan-Scott type is obtained as follows:

AllPrimitiveGroups( NrMovedPoints, [1..19], ONanScottType, "1" );

See the relevant documentation at

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP041.htm#SECT004

and

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP048.htm#I2