[GAP Forum] Display(CharacterTable(G)); recursion depth trap (5000)

Linda Cupples linda.j.cupples at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:57:01 BST 2012

Hey,

I have been mucking around with a bunch of 16 element groups, seeing how
much I can find using GAP just to learn how to use the program.

With most of the subgroups I haven't had any issues with GAP finding pretty
much anything but now I have been looking into Displaying the character
tables for some of these groups,

For example Gap determines the table for this group with no issues:

F:=FreeGroup("a","b");
a:=F.1;;b:=F.2;;
G:=F/[a^8,b^2,b*a*b*a^3];
Display(CharacterTable(G));
(character table is shown under)

It also works for some other groups I have tried, but I have found it
doesn't for all order 16 groups,

For example this group:

F:=FreeGroup("a","b");
a:=F.1;;b:=F.2;;
G:=F/[a^4,b^4,(a*b)^2,(a^3*b)^2];
recursion depth trap (5000)

I have tried adjusting the trap interval and around at  around 9000 gap
crashes,

Is there a way to find the character table of groups which give this error?

Thanks,

Linda.