[GAP Forum] subspace spanned by random subset (of finite field over subfield)

fvanhove at cage.ugent.be fvanhove at cage.ugent.be
Wed Apr 11 08:52:11 BST 2012

Hello,

thank you very much for the clear response and the examples.

I had another question about this: finite fields, seen both as fields
and as vector spaces.
I wanted to take a non-zero element of the bigger field, consider the
cyclic subgroup generated by it, and let it act on the cosets of the
multiplicative group (so in a sense, I want to consider Singer cycles,
which are apparently not yet implemented)
Curiously, however, there seems to be no command to obtain the
multiplicative group of a Galois field?

Kind regards,
Frédéric