[GAP Forum] "IsRationalNumber" as synonym for "IsRat"

Keshav Rao Kini krkini at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Feb 25 02:30:08 GMT 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:16, Attila Egri-Nagy <A.Egri-Nagy at herts.ac.uk> wrote:
> In a
> computer algebra context I see no possibility of misunderstanding
> 'IsRat', as opposed to a Zoo management software.

I would point out that this does not address discoverability, i.e. new
users of GAP would not just guess that there is a function called
"IsRat". They would probably try "IsRational" first, because this is
more canonical than an abbreviation. Of course, you may respond that
they should RTFM, which is probably true :)

-Keshav

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its content.

Towards A Sustainable Earth: Print Only When Necessary. Thank you.