[GAP Forum] Getting a presentation of a p-lower central series quotient

Anthony Bak anthony.bak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:48:10 GMT 2012

I have a finitely presented group and I use the ANUPQ package to
calculate the quotient groups of the p-lower central series.  I'd like
to get the quotient group in terms of the free group I started with.
For instance, just taking the case of the free group:

LoadPackage("anupq");
F := FreeGroup("a","b","c","d");
a := F.1;; b := F.2;; c := F.3; d := F.4;;
QF2 := Pq(F : Prime := 2, ClassBound := 2);
<pc group of size 16384 with 14 generators>

# Some Code here to describe the generators of QF2 as words in a,b,c,d

The same thing for a group G defined by G := F/R, QG2:=Pq(G : Prime :=
2, ClassBound := 2);

(Apologies if I'm missing some basic GAP concepts - this is the first
calculation I"ve tried to do).