[GAP Forum] Calculating the maximum algebra of linear transformations fixing a non-trivial subspace of a vector space

Sandeep Murthy sandeepr.murthy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 02:47:12 GMT 2011

Hello,

I only have general comments, since I am still discovering the
possibilities of GAP, with respect to answering related questions
of interest to myself.

If V is your f.d. (?) vector space (over some field K), and W < V is
some fixed nontrivial subspace, and P is the projection operator
of V onto W, and f : V --> V is some endomorphism, then it is known
that W is invariant under f, with image f(W) = W' \subseteq W, if and
only if

	(fP)(V) = (PfP)(V) = W' \subseteq W.

If Inv_V(W) is your algebra of all endomorphisms f : V --> V that
leave W fixed, and End(V) is the algebra containing Inv_V(W)
as a subalgebra, then as a set

     Inv_V(W) = { f \in End(V) | (PfP)(V) = (fP)(V) }.

This is an infinite set, but is the set of elements of an f.d. space, so on GAP,
I guess you would construct it by specifying a basis.

Sincerely, Sandeep.