[GAP Forum] Problems relating to the openmath package

Sandeep Murthy sandeepr.murthy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:36:13 GMT 2011

Hello.

I want to use the openmath package, but have run into some
strange problems in trying to installing it.

I downloaded the package file, and unzipped it inside the
pkg subdirectly inside the gap4r4 folder.  According to the
README file, I am supposed to compile a C file with name
'configure' inside the pkg/openmath/OMCv1.3c/src subdirectory
with the command:

/bin/sh ./configure

Initially, the gcc compiler (on my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.8)
did not work, this was the error message:

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

So installed the XCode tools package from the Leopard upgrade CD
and recompiled. This was the output:

./configure: line 508: /dev/null: Permission denied
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... ./configure: line 635: /dev/null: Permission denied
yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... yes
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking for connect... (cached) yes
checking for gethostbyname... (cached) yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for fcntl.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking fd_set and sys/select... yes
checking for working const... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... (cached) yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... (cached) time.h
checking for strftime... (cached) yes
checking for vprintf... (cached) yes
checking for gethostname... (cached) yes
checking for select... (cached) yes
checking for socket... (cached) yes
checking for strdup... (cached) yes
checking for strtod... (cached) yes
checking for strtol... (cached) yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
./configure: line 1834: /dev/null: Permission denied
creating Makefile
creating OMconfig.h
./config.status: line 266: /dev/null: Permission denied

When I tried to run GAP after this:

/Applications/gap4r4/bin/i686-apple-darwin9.6.0-gcc/gap -m 256m -l /Applications/gap4r4/

I got the following error message:

Bus error.

I cannot run GAP 4 at all now.  I would appreciate some help.

Sincerely, Sandeep.