[GAP Forum] Help with alnuth package

Andreas Distler andreas at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 11:33:22 BST 2011

Dear Nullgraph,

On Wed, September 28, 2011 6:28 am, nullgraph null wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying to install the alnuth package with GAP 4. I'm on Windows 7
> and I'm using Alexander Hulpke's GAP Installer for Windows. I've done
> the following steps:

As mentioned in the README and the documentation the interface from Alnuth
to KANT/KASH does not work under Windows. You can only use those parts of
Alnuth that do not rely on the interface.

There will be a new version of Alnuth interfacing to Pari/GP instead of
KANT/KASH, but retaining the same functionality on the GAP side. This new
version of Alnuth will work under Windows, but only with GAP 4.5. (You
might have seen the announcement of the second beta version, GAP 4.5.2,
yesterday.)

So, if you are in a hurry to use Alnuth under Windows you could try GAP
4.5.2 and I can send you a preliminary version of the new Alnuth in a
separate email (attachments are stripped from GAP Forum emails).

> 1. Install GGAP (includes  GAP 4.4.12)
> 2. Install the alnuth package
> 3. Install KANT/KASH
> 4. Change the binding in alnuth\defs.g to reflect the Kash installation

In other circumstances it might have been helpful to know which versions
of Alnuth and KANT/KASH your are using. For instance, Alnuth does not work
with KASH3.

> So far, I'm able to run Kash on itself as command line, I'm able to
> load package alnuth from the GGap interface. I verified that simple
> commands worked in Gap. I tried to run the following example (from the
> alnuth manual) and get some results:
>
> m1 := [ [ 1, 0, 0, -7 ],
> [ 7, 1, 0, -7 ],
> [ 0, 7, 1, -7 ],
> [ 0, 0, 7, -6 ] ];;
>
> m2 := [ [ 0, 0, -13, 14 ],
> [ -1, 0, -13, 1 ],
> [ 13, -1, -13, 1 ],
> [ 0, 13, -14, 1 ] ];;
>
> F := FieldByMatricesNC( [m1, m2] );
> <rational matrix field of unknown degree>
> DegreeOverPrimeField(F);
> 4
>
> But when I tried to run the following command, I get error:
>
> U := UnitGroup(F);
> Error, Creation of the temporary directory KANTOUPUT failed
>
> Also, when I run the alnuth test
> ReadPackage( "Alnuth", "tst/testall.g" );
> I also get the same error.
>
> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point. Also, this is my
> first time with mailman and a mailing list so please excuse me if I
> make an etiquette error.

It is custom to include your real name (assuming it is not Nullgraph Null).

Best wishes,

   Andreas

> Thanks a lot!

Dr Andreas Distler
CAUL (Centro de Álgebra da Universidade de Lisboa)
Av. Prof. Gama Pinto, 2, 1649-003 Lisboa, Portugal