[GAP Forum] Using singular from GAP

Max Horn mhorn at tu-bs.de
Tue Sep 27 17:02:58 BST 2011

Dear all,

I was wondering what the "best" way (or just a "good" way) is for using Singular (and esp. the "letterplace" extension) from within my GAP code. I need to enter relations in a module, and then read the resulting Groebner basis back into GAP. I need to use different coefficient rings; and I will at times want to compute a GB, then add some more relations, compute a new GB, add some more relations etc. until the GB does not grow anymore.

I am aware of the following possibilities, but can't compare them well, and maybe there are more.

* the "singular" GAP package. However, this seems to be outdated and did not work well for me.

* "homalg" seems to be able to interact with Singular, but I am not sure how generic this is

* the SCSCP project looks highly promising for this, but I am not sure how well supported this is from the Singular side, nor could I find any further information on this.

* lastly, I guess I could use the GAP "IO" package to try to directly control GAP.

Any suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be highly welcome.

Cheers,
Max
--
Dr. Max Horn