[GAP Forum] To use more memory for GAP

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 21:15:03 BST 2011

Dear Vipul, dear Forum,

On 18 Apr 2011, at 07:26, vipul kakkar wrote:

> Hi!!
>
> I am using GAP on Windows OS. For large calculation i want to use "-o" to
> enhance its allotted memory but i don't know how to use it for GAP in Window
> OS.
> Kindly help me regarding this problem.
>
> Thanks

It's not clear which version of Windows was in question, but indeed we discovered
some problems with the usemem.bat solution we offered earlier - it doesn't work
under Windows7.

Hopefully these are now resolved. The page

	http://www.gap-system.org/Download/WinInst.html

has updated instructions and a link to my page

	http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~alexk/gap/win7mem/

where I explained how to allow GAP workspaces up to 1GB instead of the 384 MB of
memory which is the default limit set by the current Cygwin version. So far it
worked for me for GAP 4.5 beta on a 32-bit Windows7 with a proper Cygwin
installation, and for GAP 4.4.12 on a Windows Vista machine without Cygwin. Though
there is no guarantee yet that it works on other machines, you're welcome to try
if you have an experience of editing the Windows registry.

Best wishes,
Alexander