[GAP Forum] Display of matrices

Benjamin Sambale bsambale at gmx.de
Fri Aug 19 11:10:37 BST 2011

Dear Forum,

I have two related easy questions concerning the Display command for
matrices.

The first one: I like the output of Display([[1,0],[0,1]]*Z(2)) much
more then the output of Display([[1,0],[0,1]]). Especially that dots
substitute zeros. However, I really want to work with integral matrices
and not matrices over finite fields. Is it possible to change this
behavior of "Display"?

The second one: I also want to consider "large" matrices with say 100
rows. Here I don't want that the Display command breaks lines. Instead I
want to scroll through the output. This is very useful in order to
recognize patterns. Since this question might also depend on the
operating system, I have to say that I use Arch Linux and bash as shell.
Increasing the COLUMNS variable doesn't change anything. Any ideas?

Thank you very much,
Benjamin

  * Englisch - erkannt
  * Englisch