[GAP Forum] Group representations over finite fields

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at me.com
Fri Aug 5 17:28:44 BST 2011

Dear Forum, Dear Franciois Le Gall,

This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. It is limited to CollectedFactors (none of the other meataxe functions, and thus no other GAP functionality is affected) and most times only will have produced overcounts, but in rare cases might have missed irreducible factors.

What happened is that if a small submodule is found (dimension <1/10 total, GAP tries to factor out not only this module, but all isomorphic submodules, using `Homomorphisms'. However the length of the list returned by homomorphisms is not the number of isomorphic composition factors, in particualr if there are module automorphisms.

Apologies for the problem!

Alexander Hulpke