[GAP Forum] GBNP SGrobnerTrace memory usage

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 11:29:31 BST 2011

Hi!

I have a GAP script that uses GBNP (latest GAP and GBNP on Ubuntu 10.04). My
goal is to use the function SGrobnerTrace, but due to memory limitations I'm
only able to use the SGrobner function. Using SGrobner, the script can be run on
as little as 2kb of memory (i.e. it returns successfully with the -o 2k command
line option), after around 100ms of time.

However, using SGrobnerTrace instead, not even 7GB of memory is enough (using -o
7G). The computer in question has 8GB of RAM. The only difference is that
SGrobnerTrace has been used instead of SGrobner on the final line in the script.

So my questions is: what is the expected memory increase when switching from
SGrobner to SGrobnerTrace? Or is is not possible to say in general?

A memory consumption increase from 2KB to >7GB seems almost unbelievable to
me... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen