[GAP Forum] About permutable

Benjamin Sambale bsambale at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 16:48:57 BST 2011

Dear Jianjun,

you may try this code (no warranty):

prod:=function(x,y) return x*y; end;

IsPermutable:=function(G,H)
local g;
     if IsNormal(G,H) then return true; fi;
     if ForAll(Set(G),g->SetX(H,Group(g),prod)=SetX(Group(g),H,prod))
then return true; else return false; fi;
end;

AllSgPermutable:=function(G)
     if not IsNilpotentGroup(G) then return false; fi;
     if
ForAll(List(ConjugacyClassesSubgroups(G),Representative),H->IsPermutable(G,H))
then return true; else return false; fi;
end;

Here observe that it is only necessary to test permutability with cyclic
subgroups. Moreover, if all subgroups are permutable in a finite group
G, then G must be nilpotent, since two different Sylow p-subgroups (for
the same prime p) are certainly not permutable.

Best wishes,
Benjamin Sambale