[GAP Forum] Generating Set for Special Linear Groups

Stephen Linton sal at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 07:39:30 BST 2011

Dear GAP Forum,

On 7 Jun 2011, at 01:56, Piyush garg wrote:

> I am very tahnkful to Peter, Stefan and Steve for helping me out.
> Now I am able to do this through GeneratorsOfGroup and SmallGeneratingSet ,
> but I am still getting the error message for MinimalGeneratingSet (thats ok,
> i will keep it on hold for moment).

As I said, the next version will give a better error message, but we don't have a way to
compute a minimal cardinality generating set efficiently for non-solvable groups.

> I have two more doubts :
> ##    How to get the matrices from the output generated by GeneratorsOfGroup
> for the Special Linear Group;  like for SL(2,17) :
> s:=SL(2,17);
> gens:=GeneratorsOfGroup(s);
> [ [ [ Z(17), 0*Z(17)], [ 0*Z(17), Z(17)^15 ] ],
>  [ [ Z(17)^8, Z(17)^0], [Z(17)^8, 0*Z(17)] ] ]
>
> this is the output we are getting, now hwo to get the matrices from it which
> can generate the whole set of SL(2,17) ??  (with the elements' values from 0
> to 16.)

Well, this is two matrices that generate the whole of SL(2,17), but not represented in the way you want.
You can visualize them in the form you want using Display

gap> Display(gens[1]);
  3  .
  .  6
gap> Display(gens[2]);
 16  1
 16  .

where the . represents zero, Alternatively you need to use the IntFFE function to convert
elements of the Galois field of order 17  into integers. Because you have list of matrices -- ie a list of lists of lists, you do it as follows:

gap> intgens := List(gens, m -> List(m, r-> List(r, IntFFE)));

I don't know if this is appropriate format for matlab, but if  it is, you can write it to a file by

gap> PrintTo( "sl17gens", intgens);

If you have further problems, I'd suggest asking on the GAP support mailing list, rather than the forum.
We will report back here any advice of wider interest

	Yours

		Steve Linton